When I was 22 I made a list of 25 things I want to do before I’m 25. That was eight months ago, although it feels like a lifetime. Here’s the list, with All New explanations of why I want to do these things, as well as the ones I’ve already crossed off in the past few months. I’m down to a year and nine months left to finish all the rest.
Graduate univeristy: so I graduated in May with a nearly useless degree in philosophy
- Visit a country I’ve never been to: I’ve been to Ireland, England (technically), Bosnia, Croatia, Canada, and of course the good ole US of A.
- Be published – a book or short story: I’ve had poems published and a vignette in my school paper but it isn’t enough. I want the real thing.
Own my first car: In March or April I purchased my Nissan Maxima. The poor beast is falling apart already.
- Go spelunking: C’mon. Who doesn’t want to go spelunking?!
- Run a 5K – maybe the Color Run?: Basically I want to start running again, and I do better when I have larger goals to reach for.
- Learn a new language: I love languages. I used to speak a little french and a little spanish. Now I’ve got nothing. I want to learn them all, but maybe I’ll start with Italian?
- Learn to play the guitar, or relearn to play the piano: I just want to play beautiful music, okay?
Have/use a gym membership consistently: I had one from January til May, and I just got one again recently after moving. I’ve just got to get myself to keep going…
- Go geocaching: I’ve wanted to do this for years and haven’t found fun companions to do it with. Anybody want to join me?
- Solve a Rubik’s cube: Childhood ambition that I’ve never lost. Leave it at that.
- Learn to drive manual transmission: Come ON. Everyone should be able to – I’m ashamed that I can’t.
Be a bride’s maid for my sister’s wedding: Yeah that definitely happened. Done. Gone. Thank God.
- Apply/interview for/start with the Peace Corps: Again, a dream since I was a child that I just can’t give up on.
- Visit Key West with friends: Last time was magical but…
- Visit the west coast of the US: I’ve never been. Why not? This is my country…
- Go surfing in the US: I went in Ireland and froze my ass off, but loved it. Now for warmer climes!
- Own a pet – I want a dog: If I name it Brown Dog you have to shut up and stop laughing eventually, right?
- Learn to play chess and Risk: Life skills everyone should have, in my opinion.
- Go paintballing: Because I’ve begged my friends to go since I learned what it was and still I haven’t gone. Why? Why, God, why?
- Make and bury a time capsule: For memories. Duh.
- Road trip to all the places I’ve ever lived, in order: Because I like to relive miseries as frequently as possible, and also be depressed that things change.
- Move a younger sibling into a college dorm: Because it’s about time.
- Write and record a song: Because I’m a glutton for punishment.
Move out.: I moved out, all the way from Michigan to New Hampshire. Next time I move I’m determined for it to be overseas. Let the adventures begin!
Well that’s 4 things in 8 months. At that horrible rate I won’t be cutting it at all. I’ve got to get a move on with some of these things, although I can already admit that my priorities have changed slightly since making this list. Oh well. All’s well that ends well.